Senior Development Engineer - Guildford, Surrey
Development Engineering and Project Management
• To project manage and/or support projects within the product development programme.
• A key focus will be development of gas cylinder packages and associated equipment, cylinder filling and handling systems, along with other technical developments. This includes conduct of feasibility studies, project definition, design and development engineering, and conduct of testing and customer trials; and being in accordance with company processes for product development and project management.
• To project manage and/or support development engineering in support of capital engineering projects.
Required key skills
• Broad technical/engineering knowledge
• Creative, problem solving and provision of innovative engineering design solutions
• Working knowledge of fluid/gas equipment and systems - pumps, valves; etc; - machinery, mechanical handling systems, etc. - and plastic moulded components (desirable but not essential)
• Project management: multiple project environment
• Provision of technical support within a commercial environment
• 3D CAD and PDM (e.g. Solidworks)
• Design and develop new products and technical solutions
• Develop and prepare appropriate documentation to support the regulatory approvals process (e.g. CE/Pi marking, MHRA, etc.), and liaise with regulatory bodies, industry standards bodies (e.g.EIGA) and external research organisations.
• To provide guidance on engineering requirements in respect of:
Specifications, Design codes, Safety criteria, Operational procedures, Customer equipment and components, Materials, Development requirements
• To perform and support technical investigations (e.g. accident and incident investigation, investigating equipment design and technical issues, etc.)
• Provide technical expertise and leadership for nominated technical area (s) as Technical Authority (or being on a clear path to be Technical Authority)
• Liaise with company global and RBU technical forums and authorities, external bodies (e.g. MHRA, EIGA, HSE, notified bodies, etc.) to ensure compliance with all existing company and external regulations, standards and codes. Also, to contribute to development of new standards and revisions to standards.
• Network with other technical authorities to ensure approval and authorisation as necessary
The job holder will be expected to travel within UK and Ireland to operations sites. There will be a need for some international travel, predominantly to other Group locations and suppliers mainly within Europe.
• Major internal contacts at all levels within the UK.
• Regular working relationships with business management and operational branches.
• Close working relationships with fellow members of the Support and Development Team, especially other development and design engineers; and Technical Authorities for cylinders, valves, packages and cylinder filling equipment.
• Close contact with personnel from SHEQ and other MPG Operations teams, principally Procurement, Supply Chain, Production and Engineering Projects.
• End users, suppliers, design consultants, independent testing facilities, standards committees, industry and trade associations.
• Liaison with HSE and other regulatory and standards bodies.
• Mechanical engineering or similar degree
• Minimum of 5 years in development engineering / product engineering / product design background
• Experience gained in industrial / medical gases or comparable engineering industry
• Member of relevant professional body (i.e. IMechE, IED, etc.) and attained (or clearly progressing towards) Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng)